Lutyens’ Delhi is an area in new Delhi which was mainly constructed at the time of Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944). He was a man with great architectural sense and much responsible for most of the architecture in the area at that time (1920-1930).
When you visit the area you really feel like that you in a place which is surrounded with roman architecture. This area is most expensive not in Delhi only even in India and one of the cleanest and greenest area in capital of India.
There is a place which called Lutyens’ Bungalow zone covers almost 26 square km. Most of the land is under government except a some area. The area which comes under the government is home to most of the VIP’S like Ministers, Member of Parliament and Justice’s of courts. There are almost 1000 Bungalow’s among them only 10 percent are in private hands.
Prominent Political Residence are like Prime Minister of India, Defense Minister of India, and many more VVIP’s.
The area which comes under private hand is also belongs to some of the richest business men of India
Must visiting places in Lutyens’ Delhi.
- President House of India.
- Parliament house of India.
- India Gate.
- Connaught Place.
President House of India
In India place is very much known as Rashtrapati Bhavan which means Presidential Residence. Building was build at the time of Sir Edwin Lutyans’ between 1912-1929.
It has 340 rooms and it has been build by red sand stone and lime stone.700 million bricks was used to build this place. Basically it was viceroy’s house at the time of British rule but later it became house for Indian President.
When designers started working on design the prepared a typical European style which could hurt Indian sentiments so later they designed a mixture of European and Indian architecture which resulted this amazing building.
Inside the place you will also find a very beautiful garden called Mughal Garden. This garden has so many varieties of flowers and herbal remedies.
Garden is not open for public through out the year it is only open from February to March every year.
Visit to President house : If you want to visit this amazing building you will have to take a appointment. you need to register yourself at President of India’s website and pay the nominal fees and you will be granted a date and time than you can visit this place.
Parliament House of India
The place also known as Sansad Bhawan and situated very close to the President house of India. It is one more example of great architecture of Edwin Lutyen’s and it is one of the amazing architecture of Lutyen’s Delhi (New Delhi). Construction took almost six year and it was opened in 1927. You can visit Parliament Museum inside the building it would be a great experience.
India Gate also Known as All India War memorial. It was build in the memory of 82,000 soldiers on undivided British Indian Army who died in first world war. It was constructed between 1921 to 1931 with the help of stone and again design by Edwin Lutyen’s one more marvelous building in Lutyen’s Delhi. It is situated just opposite side of President house of India at Very famous road Rajpath which connects India Gate to President house. Rajpath also host the Indian republic day parade on 26 January every year.
India gate is one of the most crowded place in new Delhi in the Evening and most of them are local residents who come with there families to enjoy the evening and to have magnificent lighted view of India gate. its a great place for your children to enjoy and play.
It would not be wrong if i say Connaught place is the heart of New Delhi. It is one of the biggest commercial, financial, and Business center. It is also known as CP as a short form of Connaught place. It is still houses of so many big Indian companies’s headquarters. It was also headquarters of Britishers and still remains pride of the city and top most heritage site in New Delhi. Construction was begins in 1929 and was completed in 1933. It has two circles inner circle named as Rajeev chowk and outer circle named as Indira chowk. Today Connaught place is fourth most expensive office space in the world. It is a one stop place for everything you need to enjoy.
Things to do in Connaught Place :
- Shopping : If you are a shopping lover than Connaught place is the best place for you. You will find almost every brand here for clothes, Shoes, Leather items, electronics etc. Beside this brands Connaught place is also a great place for street shopping and budget shoppers. I think no girl would be unknown of Janpath street market it is one of the best budget market for girls. you will find all the latest design for tops, kurtis, Shorts, at a very reasonable price. Janpath road is also has a Tibetan market for handicrafts items. you can also try Palika Bazar an underground market for reasonable stuff but have to bargain here. Do not forget to visit Baba Kharag Singh Marg here you will find handicrafts emporium from different states of India and stuff is so good.
- Entertainment : Connaught Place has so many Disco’s and Bar’s for party lovers. For movies you can enjoy here PVR, Odien and Plaza and one single screen theater is also here named Regal which reminds you old days of single screen cinemas.
- Food : It does not make any difference what kind of food you like because in Connaught place you will find everything like Indian, Mughlai, Italian, Chines, South Indian, North Indian, Veg, Non Veg fast food etc. All the fast food chain like McDonald’s, KFC, Pizza hut, Domino’s is here and budget is not a issue here because you can have food here from INR 50 to INR 5000 for one meal. Do not forget to taste something from this very famous like A Paan near Odien Cinema, Milk Shake at Shake Square, Pastries at Wenger. Some of the options for food as below.
- Pind Baluchi (North Indian)
- Saravana Bhawan (Veg south Indian)
- Desi Vibes (Mughlai)
- Nando’s (Portuguese, African)
- Caffe 9 (North Indian, Chinese, Italian, American, Middle Eastern)
- Caffe Tonino (Pizza, Italian)
- Vaulte Cafe (North Indian, Mediterranean, Asian, Continental)
- Zizo (Lebanese, Mediterranean)
- Parikarma – Revolving Restaurant (North Indian, Chinese, Mughlai)
- Khan Chacha (Mughlai, North Indian)
Attractions : In near by of the connaught place you can visit some of the fine places like Jantar Mantar, Agrasen ki baoli, Hanuman Temple, Central Park, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib etc.
How to Reach : Connaught Place is centrally located and very well connected to every corner of Delhi by Metro and Public buses. You can also reach there by auto and your personal Vehicle. Main Metro station is Rajeev chowk and near by is Barakhamba road, Janpath, Mandi House and Shiva Ji Stadium. Main Bus terminal is Shiva Ji stadium. If you are coming from airport than Airport Express Line Metro is the best option it takes you to Shiva Ji Stadium metro station in Connaught place within 30 Minutes. You can also have a taxi but it takes approx 01 hour to reach Connaught place.