India is a country with full of festivals and traditions. So many traditions means so many festivals. India is a democratic nation and people of all religions live here happily. Religions are different so the festivals are but people celebrate all the festivals with each other which makes it more beautiful.
You will find the festivals through out the years but October to March is the time for some festivals which are celebrated on very high level. Here are some most popular festivals of India.
1. DIWALI : Diwali is a festival of lights and one of the most celebrated festival in India. It is a festival about victory of Ram over Ravana. Ram defeat the Ravana and returns home with Sita so people celebrate their victory and decorates Ayodhya with clay lamps and candles. Diwali is five day long festival with different worships and celebrations. You can see decorated houses with candles and lights and so many fire work which makes it very bright and cracking festival. Best places to celebrate Diwali in India.
2. HOLI : Holi is one of the biggest festival in India and have been a ideal festival of India to the world and no doubt people celebrate it with full of heart and joy. If you see its only a festival of color but when you go in details it has a long history and you will find it have been celebrated in India in many different styles. Like different cities celebrate holi in different style colors are always there in form of holi but people mix it with there local culture and tradition and make unique. Best Places to celebrate Holi in India.
3. EID-UL-FITR : Eid-ul-Fitr is one of the most celebrated festival in India by Muslims. It comes after 30 days fasting of Ramadan. Its also known as “Meethi Eid” because of sweet dishes people cook on this day. Day celebration start with a special Namaz of Eid after that people start meeting with each other and offer sweets. There is no particular dress code for the day but mostly people wear Kurta Pajama or any kind of new clothes.
4. DUSSEHRA, NAVRATRI, DURGA PUJA : Its a ten days long festival which is celebrated in India on a grand level. First nine days are known as Durga Puja. Huge statues of Goddess Durga are made worshiped and immersed in holy river Ganga. The tenth day is the day of “Ravan Dahan”. Day is celebrated as a victory of Lord Rama on Ravana and devotees make huge statues of Ravana which are burned on this day.
5. RAKSHA BANDHAN : Raksha Bandhan is a festival of Sisters and brothers. On this day sisters tie a sacred thread to brothers hand. Brothers make a promise to protect her for life from any harm. Brothers offer sweets and gifts to sister as show of their love. India celebrate this festival with full of love and affection. Its a festival of love and care.
6. ONAM : Onam is one of the most celebrated festival of South India. Its a ten day harvest festival. It is welcome festival for mythical King Mahabali. Onam is full of culture and tradition. Grounds are decorated to welcome the King. People wear new clothes and serve feast on Banana Leaves. Day is celebrated with dance, sports and games.
8. KRISHNA JANMASHTAMI : Krishna Janmashtami is a annual celebration of the birth of Lord Krishna. Temples are decorated and children dresses like Lord Krishna on this day. North India celebrates this day with full of heart specially Mathura and Vrindawan celebrates it on a grand level.
9. BAISAKHI : Baisakhi is on of the most celebrated festival by Sikhs in Punjab region. Baisakhi is new year for harvest its time to harvest new crop. Day is celebrated with lots of dance and Bhangra a form of punjabi dance. people also visits Gurudwara and thanks to God on this day. Day is celebrated in the month of April every year.
10. GANESH CHATHURTI : Ganesh Chathurti is a ten days festival. Its a festival about birthday of Lord Ganesha the younger son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. The festival is very popular specially in Maharashtra. During the festival big stages are made and Lord Ganesha worshiped for ten days. The festival ends with immersion of the idol in the river.